Chairperson: Beth List, Lee County Public Library
Purpose: The NCPLDA Awards Committee recognizes the extraordinary achievements and efforts made by North Carolina public libraries and their staff each year. The committee solicits and evaluates the association membership’s nominations for recognition and honorees in various categories. The committee is responsible for presenting awards to the chosen recipients at the NCPLDA Annual Dinner Banquet in November.
Awards Committee. The members of the Awards Committee shall be appointed by the President of the Association after each annual meeting and shall serve at the pleasure of the Board of Directors. The purpose of the Awards Committee shall be to organize the annual awards program, to monitor the awards process and recommend appropriate changes to the officers and Board of Directors of the Association, and to maintain and further develop, when necessary, guidelines which shall be used in the awards process.
Tasks: The Awards Committee meets in September via telephone to update the Awards application, make recommendations for changes to categories and set deadlines. The NCPLDA webmaster is contacted to update the application if necessary and make sure that the deadline information is accurate. Award Application information is shared with the membership via email and the application is available on the website. After the deadline, the Committee Chair shares the applications with Committee Members via email. Members rank the applications within each category then have a conference call to discuss award winners.
Once winners are selected, there are several tasks to complete the process:
- Winners are notified.
- Certificates are printed.
- Plaques or other hardware are ordered.
- Awards Ceremony Program is prepared.
- Chair or other member of the committee announces winners during Awards Ceremony.
- Group meets three times per year, typically conference calls.
- Active between September and December.
- Additional committee members would be welcome.
- Plans to create a rubric to assist with reviewing applications.
- Thinks that a time at the August meeting to share information about the Committee and recruit additional members is a great idea.
September 30: Awards application updated and submitted to NCPLDA Webmaster